Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Whatever works.

So maybe, I worked some magic when I realized November had already started and I was hoping to do a little NaBloPoMo again this year.. I missed doing it last year!

It seems that all of the information management courses I have been to is starting to sink in. Either that or having two hard drives roll over and quit in the last year has also been a good motivator.

I am finally making the time to organize our photos, and other various CDs and mixed DVDs we have laying around. When you can buy a 100 blanks for under $30, it is amazing how they breed and lay around creating more shiny discs.

Our original organization method isn't working anymore. I have devised an easier way to keep track of all of our photos chronologically. Of course, I got there after putting together all the photo discs we had everywhere. Some loose, some in sleeves, some in binders, some shoved in spindles, some just, well, somehow they got themselves found. It feels like a huge job. I also want to get some more photos printed out, and just stay on top of it. I have made the end of the month official organize the monthly photos, do the labeling, the archiving, and then the backing up time.

Now I have to figure out how we will print and have some for future. I think it is really important to have something, and not just a bunch of discs in order. There is something to be said about having photos (or books for that matter) in your hand. To see them, to feel them. My mom is going through her photos too, and she was looking to throw out a few of the older books because they had the sticky pages that ruin photos eventually. I was horrified when I saw what pictures she was leaving behind, and that made me appreciate what those photos meant to me as a kid, growing up, and being able to refer to them. You don't remember everything, and some memories are constructed around the images that exist from your youth, so I guess that is the other motivation behind getting our photos organized. Our past. Our images. Organized in a way that makes sense to us. Our favorites.

I have 2006 pretty much done, and 2009 looks good. 2007 and 2008 look like more work. I enjoy it - it is also just having the time to think, and just get'er done. I look at all the backup discs we have, and so many are partial, and with the old organizing system. I am glad we have the back ups, but I will reburn after I finish off the new chronological system so it is easier to see what we have, and find it, when we want something.

Then come the videos!! What have I gotten myself in to? Ah yes, just in case. I couldn't imagine my hard drive rolling over again and not having the photos especially backed up. Lots of memories buried in our computer. Phew. Damn wordy for nearly midnight.

1 comment:

Refinnej said...

Those sticky photo pages seem to take eons to "ruin" photos...I have my grandmother's albums (some are 40+ yrs old) and the photos are still fine. Well, they were last time I checked. LOL