Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Rounding the corner of the month

I love coupons. Between coupons, and watching my bills, I pretty much saved $27.50 today. It wasn't even a big shopping day, just got lucky on a few things.

There is something to be said about being an aware shopper, and know what is and is not on sale. There is also something to be said about checking your bill before you get home so when you find the wrong price you don't have to drag your ass back to the store to get your money back (and free item, which is the big store's policy). I have let this one slip a few times, and this time around, I figured, screw it, I want my $4.50 back!!! I only bought the damn item because it was on sale!!! I have taken to scanning my bills because I do remember prices - once a grocery store cashier, always one at heart.

Speaking of which, every now and then I have cashier dreams where I am working in either my old store, or a slightly changed version of that store. Wandering around the produce, walking down strange aisles... dreaming up those UPC codes. I still remember bananas, 4011. And green onions, 4068. Come'on!! It has been well over a decade since I quit that job...

But, that brings me back to coupons. Buying bulk. Watching sales. You kind of half to. Why pay twice as much when you don't need to? Yes, I seem to lose hours in the grocery store, wandering around, looking at what is new, and yes, checking out the prices of things. At least I have two good shoppers, and well, that free cookie from the bakery goes a long way with my dude.

1 comment:

Refinnej said...

Bananas is the first code I learned at Safeway...but it was "45" back in 1990.

Imagine the horror when we had to re-learn the f-ing codes...strangely, 4011 still sticks!

Also: WTF is this crap with the codes being on produce labels now? CHEATERS.