Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ruined by a good book.

I am having a hard time reading fluff and formulaic writers.

Fancy that.

In the last few months, I have picked up a few stellar reads, and I willingly admit, I am also on a bit of a Rankin kick as well. I have also picked up a few not so stellar reads. I zipped my way through an Johansen book, and it struck me I had read this book by her, with a slightly different twist and different names before. It made me a little sad, I used to really enjoy her books. I guess I shouldn't have followed that one up with one she wrote with her son... a thread of a plot, and just so out there, I could not do it. Shelved. It will be paid forward. I just want a little more from my books right now - even just a little more plot and character development... maybe not real, but not so far fetched either.

I am reading a Turow book, the Burden of Proof. I have read a few of his books, and they are different. Really good plot development and different characters. They are flawed, and their stories are really quite interesting even if on the surface, they don't appear to be.

I am sitting on the new Gabaldon, I am not sure what exactly I am waiting for, but I will jump in to that one at the right time. I am also sittong on the new Brown... that too I am holding off reading until I am in the mood. I am not sure why I am waiting to read these two, especially with the Gabaldon, I waited so long for the next one to come out that I don't want to rush it. Some novels you savor, and with the exception of the Fiery Cross, Gabaldon's are personal favorites.

Speaking of which, any recommendations of some good reads??? I am currently in need of some.

1 comment:

Refinnej said...

I'm halfway through "An Echo in the Bone" and while good, I can't seem to get back to it.

Douglas Coupland's "Generation A" was interesting.

I've expanded into non-fiction in recent months...