Wednesday, November 4, 2009

N1H1Nooooonsense

With the exception of our wee dude, my family has been vaccinated against the nasty flu going around.

I do not like how the media attention has created a form of hysteria about this flu. I am nervous. I am really glad we've had the shot, especially for Brandon. Once you have kids, it really isn't about you anymore, and having held the big B through a flu as he puked all over me, again and again and again, I want to spare him this nasty go around. It does not help he has an underlying medical condition, so to speak. Of course, the day before we were to get the shot, the boys both had some cold symptoms happening. What I am getting back around to saying is that I don't normally like to get these kind of shots, but, I felt I had to this year, that it would be irresponsible not to get it. That every newspaper headline except today screamed out the panic (thank you big O for being a different news topic, 100 more days to go until a new type of chaos on the wet coast) for how many days running doesn't help. Nor do the images of people standing in line for hours and hours.

I talked to our pediatrician, Ken talked to his doctor, and I talked to mine. None have ever seen a flu hit young people like this one does. They all whole heartedly recommended we all get it. With my doctor, he was concerned, and was happy to give me the vaccine, which is a first (I have avoided the other rounds, I'm healthy!). It's hard to go against that kind of advice, even if I am a little begrudging about doing it.

Now, that being said, the shot I got after Connor's birth for having the RH - factor was worse than this one! Connor was a rock star for his 4 month old shots, and is now sleeping peacefully. Brandon is tearing apart his sandbox, and for that I am happy. Three year olds are pretty full on. I feel like he has been cooped up the last few days and it is good to see him blowing off some steam.

Wow. Lookee that. I think I can officially join the ranks for NaBloPoMo. Woo woo! Of course, I say this now...

No comments: