Wednesday, November 25, 2009

too late or too early?

It is after midnight, the house is quiet, and I have been photo and video archiving, for lack of a better term.

This year we had our hard drive roll over and quit. We were lucky and were able to salvage our photos. Taking some sage advice from a techie friend, we bought a second bigger hard drive to run the computer. The old hard drive would be used for storing things like photos, vids, and music on. Of course, this is in theory.

The new drive quit on us in May. So we lost all of our photos from January through May. It was frustrating as hell. The hard drive was under warranty (oh joy) but to recover the photos, the experts wanted THOUSANDS of dollars. I miss them, I think we have some DVD movies recorded from the pictures and videos, and well, who has that kind of cash for a mission that may fail?

Started again in May, and well, we hit the ground running. Me finishing work, birth of Connor, chaos that ensues with two youn'uns.

I am sure I have mentioned this before, but I have taken a few records management courses in my day. One of my projects for my mat leave (yes, I am still a geek and I revel in it!) is to organize our photos, and systematically label and back them up, as well as our videos, etc.

Bloody hell. What a project it is. Tonight alone I just spent the last three hours working on it. It has been strange, nary a peep from any of the boys!!! Our computer filing system went to hell over the summer, and I have been sorting it out, moving files, deleting duplicates and triplicates. The good news, the end is in sight. The bad news, it's been a lot of work. I need to buy more blank DVDs, but I am feeling better knowing that everything will be properly backed up, and we now have a system for storing our photos, etc on the computer that if the hard drive rolls over again, we are safe. We may lose a few weeks worth of photos, but, I have developed a system. Yes, it is a work in progress, but, it will work.

No comments: