Monday, November 23, 2009

A cup and not a can....

Well, I am not sure if we have just experienced a kitchen disaster or not.

It is another rainy fall day, and what better thing to do than to make cookies. B and I whipped up some sugar cookie dough, and it is now chilling in the freezer.

I then decided to get adventurous, and try out some pumpkin cookies that I have had my eye on. The dough tasted pretty good (I taste test, as does my big dude) and all was looking well. Until the dough went from looking pretty good to pretty damn sticky. Yup. I read the damn recipe wrong. It asked for a cup of pumpkin and not a can. In recipe terms, there is a big difference between 250 ml and 398 ml.

Ahem. So, I added more flour. Then more flour. I got it on both our noses I added so much. I continued to stir, and we have more or less gotten beyond the sticky stage, and then I tossed in some more of the spices, and I threw the mess in to the oven. I think it may be okay - the dough has potential, but if I make this again, I will make note, a cup and not a can.

If I get the chance, I will add a post script on the fate of these cookies, but I won't be making any promises. In case you are so moved to try this out on your own, I have graciously supplied the recipe I am using, thank you all recipes.

Pumpkin Iced Cookies

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter and white sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.
4. To Make Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar, milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add milk as needed, to achieve drizzling consistency.

No comments: