Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sneaking a post in...

It is amazing how dampness at +5 is way worse than a dry cold at -5.

Well, our Lions got trounced today, and I made an amazingly decadent chocolate cake for my mom's birthday. There is something to be said about being able to bake. I am starting to plan what I am going to do for Christmas baking this year. It seems like time is just flying by. Christmas is already next month! Connor is almost 5 months old. O M G !!!! We started rice cereal this week and he is gobbling it up. I waited until Brandon was exactly 6 months old before I started, but well, we had a few other things going on at the time so waiting until the 6 month mark with B seemed prudent at the time, and he also got a lot more formula than Connor ever has had (luck of the draw and it seems the breastaurant is much more productive this go around).

I figured that Connor was just seeming to need a little more and was waking up more during the night. So, away we have gone with the rice cereal. Next up, oat cereal and then 'naners. It seems to have happened so fast. That baby stage is so quick. Brandon seems so tall, and so articulate, it's hard to remember he is only 3, or is it already 3?

Parenting is as much an evolution as watching your kids bloom. You too start out a wee babe in the woods, not knowing a damn thing about how to parent, guide, coach, and for yourself, when to count to 10 before you blow your own stack. It is like the sea, in all it's moods. I wonder some times what other mom's do with their days at homes with their loved ones. How they structure their day, and what activities they make sure they do. Like reading, and teaching crafts, how much and what kinds of tv isn't the root of all evil. I guess you could call it finding your parental compass. I do and don't spend a lot of time talking to other parents about this, I am both a loner, and a social person. I do find I observe when I get the chance, seeing what other folks are doing, and what we are doing, and what rings right for me, and us. Funny, I didn't see this ending up as a post about parenting and yet here it is.

I think what is happening (or happened) is relaxing in to the role of mom. I am glad I didn't wait until 6 months to introduce food. I like to think my pediatrician had it right, as he answered a question of mine about kids and what time is right with just a simple "just use common sense." Now how common is that? That old fall back from the scientific method: observe, reflect, try, try again, summarize, alter a little, breath, and have an apple a day... LOL

1 comment:

Nicole said...

He's a biggun - he probably needs a little more. S was waking up too (and the fact that she grabbed salad off my plate at Boston Pizza and stuffed it in her mouth). We did rice cereal for about a week and then started fruits and veggies. She had a reaction to bananas so we'll try those when she's a year old again (it's fine - neither of us like bananas so we don't keep them around).

She's mostly muscle though, and loves protein and stuff that's higher in fat, especially beef and ham (of all things). She likes black olives too.