Saturday, October 22, 2005

My feet hurt like the dickens

The SIWC has been a great journey so far!! I had no idea what really went on during a writer's conference, having only been to a few 'festivals' to date. This conference, and I would assume those like them, are for writer's, and about writer's, and all about improving your craft. I have learned a lot and I still have another day. This has also been empowering, and I am glad that I am attended as a volunteer, because as a paying person, you would have to cram so much information and experiences in, your mind would be spinning and I think you would quickly reach the saturation point.

I got to meet Diana a few times. She is wonderful. I brought my hardcovers in for her to sign, and I picked up a copy of her latest installment of the Jamie and Claire series. I can't wait to get tucked in to it. Nothing like having a new book by one of your favs, but also having met them - and they are great people in person. She also has great fashion sense :] funny what you notice when you are a little nervous at being at your first conference, and also meeting people you never thought life would afford you the opportunity to do so.

I also got to meet Jean. Like wow. If meeting Diana wasn't enough, I also got to meet Jean. She was really nice, down to earth, and surprised me by commenting on the first edition of Clan that I have... apparently they are really rare, it is in great condition, and it is now signed... ! ! ! ! ! ! ! I got to meet a few people that I have also read, like Terry, whom has piercing blue eyes and lots of energy.

I spent a lot of time on my feet directing people, but I did get to go to a workshop on "community in writing" hosted by Jenny Crui$e. She was hilarious and dynamic, and I think she could talk even faster than me!!! I think some people had a hard time keeping up with what she had to say, but definitely some food for thought there. I haven't read anything by her, and I think she does chick-lit, but I am now intrigued and may have to look her up at the library next time I am there.

This weekend has also been about rediscovering my writer's voice. I can feel the urge to write awakening, and seeing so many people in every stage of their career has been really inspiring. I have seen people pitch their ideas, talk to hugely successfuly authors, gone to workshops, talked to Agents (hell, I even spilled coffee on myself in the elevator only to be embarrassed later on that it was an agent that was in one of the sessions I was working in, yah, I looked like an idiot there)... it really helps debunk some of the perceived distance for me. Where this will take me, who knows. Tonight, I think I will put the shoes I wore today in to a the pile of shoes I don't need to wear again and chill for a few hours.

It is strange being solo on a Saturday night but my honey is playing hockey, and I see popcorn and a good book in my near future....

2 comments:

Gilly said...

Dude! You got to meet Jean Auel! That totally rocks!!

Anonymous said...

I have read everything by Jennifer Cruisie and I love her! Her writing is terribly funny and that self-depracating way that I adore...