Sunday, October 9, 2005

More on cat health

I never guessed that in the last week I would become knowledgeable about FLUTD. That would be Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease. Anything in life can be a learning experience.

Our vet is recommending that once Ripley's inflammation has been sorted out, and all is working as it should, that both cats be put on a better diet.

I read this hilarious review of the PRESCRIPTION (like, OMG?!!) cat food for the boys that has been suggested as a maintenance food, which will put a significant dent in the budget, YES they are worth it, or, a slightly cheaper alternative and apparently comes highly recommended. When we get to pick up the Ripper, I will talk to the clerk and see what is up, and whether or not we should the c/d route for the first while and then perhaps switch to the Purrina 1 once health is restored as a cheaper and more available alternative to the prescription stuff.

Makes you start to question some of those diet choices any of us can(do) make. I have been going off about the cats, but what about us too? I have suspected for a while that many health issues are directly (or indirectly) linked to what people are eating. I try to shop the outside aisles at the grocery store, trying to stay away from the heavily processed foods of a questionable nature. We all slip, hell, every now and then I get these cravings for things I know are bad - like the cheese dip for nacho chips. We switched to bottled water about a year ago, and I think we have been healthier overall. When you read articles about how many pre$cription drug$ make it in to our water supply, it is scary!!

Enough of my rant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say, you're making me think about my own kitty-food choices. I'm pretty sure we're mostly a Friskies/Whiskas family. I haven't had any urinary tract infection problems but does your vet suggest switching anyway? Now I'm worried.

Refinnej said...

Yeah. I'm feeling relatively guilty, and my male cat is 10 years old. Considering myself lucky we haven't seen this problem with him, and will probably be switching!

Had a GREAT laugh at the review!

*smoo* call me, girl!