Friday, December 16, 2005

The Unknown Factor

I am stealing this from Refinnej who grabbed it from someone else!

This meme is about listing 10 things that most people don't know about you, strange and unusual facts (for me, still wordy!)

1. I love popcorn. This would be the snack I will generally return too.

2. I moved around a lot when I was a kid and pretty much went to a different school every year until I got in to the highschool years.. then I only switched schools once. I have a bizarre attitude about moving, and actually staying in one place for a period of time. The last three places that I have lived I have spent good chunks of time there (11 years, 3 years, 2.5 years) and the stability is cool, but still a bit of an adjustment. It throws me sometimes that people don't move as much as we did growing up.

3. I have two degrees plus a few extra credits. They are in English, and then History and Humanities from SFU. At times I undervalue my education because it is something that I have always done, and I am a course junkie in many ways. I am having a helluva time making the jump in to a masters, and I like to think because it hasn't been the right time in my life to make that jump. One day.

4. I had perfect 80's hair and used to go through a bottle of hairspray in about a week when I was a teenager. I loved the big hair bands for a few yeards, papered my walls with their posters and was over it before I was 16. Then I went for perms instead, now I have gone au natural.

5. I can actually handle country music now. Used to avoid it like the plague, but with music in the last five years, at least country singers still sing. Not that I still don't like some punk and alternative, but my tastes have grown up some.

6. I have a quiet side. Not many people see the loner side of me that enjoys the time that I get to spend alone, just puttering away doing whatever. A lot of people just see my extroverted side, and discount the fact that I could actually enjoy just being introverted and quiet for a change.

7. I think that travelling is really important. It doesn't matter how far you go, or how much you spend to go there. I think that having a change of scenary every now and then is good for the soul. Because of my dad being in construction growing up, we didn't always do a lot of trips. As soon as I turned 19 I made it a priority to get away whenever I had two nickels that I could rub together. Will try to continue this, and I am eternally grateful that I fell in love with someone that shares my sense of adventure and seeing new places.

8. I really miss having a dog. I love having my animals around me - the cats, the fish, but I miss the company of a dog too. I don't think it is the right time in our life to have one, but I consider myself a cat and dog person, and eventually we will have both.

9. I met my partner playing co-ed hockey. It was funny because both of us figured that the other one was in a relationship until a highly revelatory conversation took place in the pub at the rink many, many years ago. It has been great ever since, and ironic, since I was at a stage in my life where I was not really looking and was happy in the place that I was in. I love the fact that we share a love of hockey, I like being a superfan and hanging with the hockey wives and tailgating after his games, and I love being able to play together. Damn cool.

10. As a result of moving around so much when I was a kid, I realized that friends are friends no matter where you live and they live. So it seems that my closest friends live where-ever, and it makes me glad for blogs, and email, and long distance phone plans. Friendships need a little work over time to make sure they continue to flourish, but they shouldn't be work. I think the best friendships start and pick up where you left off, and you get celebrate the highs together, and cry over the hardships together. I used to spend hours on the phone when I was younger, and now I hate spending too much time with a phone plastered to my ear.

No comments: