Friday, December 30, 2005

Fine art of creation

I was talking to a friend the other day, and she said that one of the hardest things that she did when planning their wedding, was sitting down and creating the registry. I hadn't given it a lot of thought until then, but now it is sinking in.

We aren't kids, and when you blend two adult houses, you have the basics covered. So this whole creation of a registry is a bit daunting. What do we need, what can I project is good to have, what will we have space for, seeing as I don't see a move in the near future happening, and what are the things I haven't considered getting but maybe now could? It is an interesting thing to go through.

Some parts of the planning we are blitzing through - it definitely puts things in perspective. It is almost an adventure to plan a wedding in a shorter amount of time because you are making decisions quicker and for us, it seems like things are falling in to place. What matters to me is that I always had an idea of a 'community' wedding - one where people were a part of it, not just people who rocked up for the highly ritualized and compartmentalized weddings that seemed to be happening before. Our friends and family are involved, in the planning, brainstorming, helping with flowers, decorations, the cake, and everything else. It's been kind of cool so far, watching the pieces come together.

I have the feeling that the next three months are going to go by in a blur.

We also have to wait 2 weeks before we get to go to our first ultrasound... can't wait!!! At that point we will have a better idea of when our arrival will be making an appearance :]

2 comments:

Refinnej said...

See, the whole registry thing goes out the window when one plans a wedding in six weeks. This 3 month stuff....you have TONS of time!

LOL

We registered (to a degree) at a bath/bedding store. It was perfect! My crazy relatives hit town on the day of the wedding, bought up every damn thing I'd said I wanted (there's stuff on there I don't recall saying I wanted, but hey, I was the pregnant bride who lost her mind!) and had it gift-wrapped. It was quite hilarious to open all those boxes from the same store.

My recommendations:

sheets
towels
(never can have enough!)
interesting appliances that you can't be bothered to get yourself
FIESTAWARE (duh)

Anonymous said...

When I got married some 18 years ago, registries were sort of uncommon. But my maid-of-honor asked me for a list to distribute to those interested in buying me a shower gift. So I sort of ranged it from everything from a pillowcase all the way up to a lamp.

She looked at it, looked at me, and said, "You know anyone who likes you well enough to buy you a Stiffel?"

I didn't get any lamps.