Thursday, December 29, 2005

Dress Shopping, 101

Ah, the joys of shopping for your wedding dress.

I am becoming more and more of a fan of EBay as time goes on. There are some wicked deals to be had. So, being an entrepreneur, and not wanting to break the bank with our upcoming nuptials, I did a quick look the marketplace to see if anything caught my fancy. To make a long story short, I found the dress PDQ, for a really good price, and was all but ready to run for it.

Well, after a few discussions, my mom convinced me that what we really should be doing is trying on some dresses (makes sense) to get a feel for the sizing, even if the sizing won't be perfect given unknown variables in the next few months, and to see if a deal here in the same price range could be found... so on the 23rd we hit a consignment shop (tried on an ok dress, but needed cleaning and lots of alterations) and then we went to a "bridal salon". Of course, read snotty wenches who figure they are god's gift to future Bridezillas out there.

We rock up, and as soon as I let out that I was getting married in a mere 3 months you could hear the sneer in the voice, and then the comment "OH. (dripping with sarcasm) You are going to have to buy off of the rack!)

Oh forsooth! Evil woman that I am for making them work for it! So, the wench took me to the wrong sizes (be-yotch!), and all they had were really princess-y type dresses with a lot of beading, and frilly crap, and they were just brutal. AND EXPENSIVE. After browsing through 50 dresses whose average price hovered over a 1000 buckeroos, my mom was on my side.

The dress on the net was very reasonable, custom made to my size, and beautiful - simple, elegant lines that will be flattering without too many accroutrements, but enough to be the right dress. So, turning on our heels, we waltzed out of the store, to no surprise to the wankers at the front counter, whom themselves were quite relieved they didn't have to hurry and help someone who wanted to get hitched so quick!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's kismet.

http://www.chadwicks.com/chadwicks/layout/Layout.asp?story_id=1283

Anonymous said...

I bought my dress off the rack a few months before my wedding too, and I can not even believe how many women (saleswomen in particular) looked at me like I was crazy for not ordering it a year in advance and gave that stupid tut-tutting sound. They not only raised their eyebrows when they heard my wedding was in only a few months, they also gave me the twice-over up and down when they saw that, no, I'm not a teensy tiny girl, and no, there won't be many dresses in the shops that will fit me.

But I got a BEAUTIFUL dress and I felt wonderful and looked wonderful and I didn't have to stress over it for more than the week it took me to find it. And it only cost me $350. I was darn happy not to have to deal with them anymore.

Gilly said...

Kazzy, don't let those tight a$$ beyotches get to ya. The only reason they act like that is because they work on commission. My friend was raked over the coals for ordering her dress 6 months in advance. Vultures!

Kazzy said...

COOL STUFF ladies!!! I too can understand that, getting sized up and feeling like you are coming up short because there happens to be more of you to love!! I am really happy with my dress, with shipping, and custom cutting it will be about $289US (335 CDN) which is GREAT in my books - Chadwicks has some nice, elegant lines.. not quite what I grabbed, but not far off. Those bridal store clerks are a breed of their own!!!