Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Waxing poetic

I am trying to take more "risks" in what I read - not always going for the authors that are tried and true for me, but rather, trying out some new authors to see if they are a good fit, and have different stories to tell.

I have had J0y Luck Club on my shelf as a "to read sometime" for as long as I can remember, and I was temped by the Opposite of Fate, Tan's autobiographical book, which also sat on the shelf "to read at a later date."

Well, I finally sat down and read the Opposite of Fate and I am a total convert!!!! I was enchanted cover to cover, and found myself earmarking pages so I can return to them later on to ponder Tan's words. Her other books have moved up my priority list to read, perhaps not right now, but not in a long time either. Her work is poignant, and is quite autobiographical, and she speaks quite openly and frankly about her relationship with her mother (always a big one for us girls, whether or not we are moms or daughters or both!!). I was sad to turn the last page for I think Tan is a fiesty woman who has much to say, and I like that she examines American culture and it's need for stereotyping and takes it very neatly apart and that she rejects any other label than that of "American Writer".

"The best stories do change us. They help us live interesting lives"

I can't help but agree with this statement, wholeheartedly. I also like Tan's claims that "I have the freedom to write whatever I want. I claim that freedom." For so many people who lose their voices away, this book is a reminder of reclaiming that voice, and using it, even if it always isn't perfect, or is in draft form...

4 comments:

Refinnej said...

WTH. Did you not have faith in my Amy Tan recommendations of the past???

Have read all her stuff. Well, except "Saving Fish from Drowning" which I really did try to read & just could. not. finish. Still waiting for the urge to eat books to return. sigh.

Refinnej said...

HOLY mother of god. WTFUCK is up with the word verifications?

Sometimes they're "abcde" and sometimes they're SO. NOT.

GAHHHH

Kazzy said...

I so agree with you about word verification.. some times it is a real Pain in the ass!!

Not sure if you have recommended Amy Tan before.. and if you did, than huge apologies because you are most definitely right!!! In the lists i have kept of references... not blipping.. AH WELL. You are right. :]

Refinnej said...

Ok. So it's (slightly) possible I didn't mention her before.

But I could SWEAR I did.

LOL


Once again....easy Word Ver. The gods must be listening.