Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Repetitive

Some times bl0gger does the strangest things. The two hauntingly similar posts about me whining about waking up early happened because one of those posts "disappeared" from the system after posting, couldn't see it, and I can now tell that it has miraculously reinvented itself.

Honestly. I really don't dwell on getting up early to that degree. I think it is kind of funny because once I have decided that I will be up, I am a self proclaimed nauseating ray of sunshine. I blame this on my father, and on my pop. They were both early risers and if you can convince me that I want to be up at that time, I guess so am I.

Finished up a book recently that I feel is worth mentioning, if you have any desire to know a little more about the history of Vancouver through a different lens. Not just through a fiction lens (even if there are cultural foots in the truth so to speak). If you haven't read the short story, The Jade Peony, it is worth a gander, but Ways0n Ch0y has written a larger piece which I recommend as a good read called All that Matters. This presents a different picture of Vancouver's Chinatown in the 30's and 40's and is a tale about growing up, family relations, and the schism that exists between old and new. It gets you thinking.

I am hooked on doing online puzzles right now. I couldn't care less about the people ones, I like the flora and fauna ones. I keep trying to best my own time, or beat the "best time" which makes me laugh at my competitive streak and why these damn things are so compelling to do (I guess it is good that I am off spider solitaire now). There is one puzzle that is a group of sea lions on a rock, and it makes me yearn for a trip up to the north coast to be in the middle of the wild, and just soaking it all in. I definitely want to do more trips up the northern coastline, whether it be by car or by boat, or even to one day get out there kayaking or whatever gets us out to explore some of those places with the mystical names - like Hecate Straight, or Desolation Sound ... for me there is something about being from the coast, the rain and mists seep in to your soul and call out to you every now and then. To wander among the rocks on the shores edge, to breath in the salty air, sliding on the kelp. Or to walk in the woods with the moss and the ferns, and the tumbled down trees decomposing all around you. The other day we could smell camp fires, although we could go camping this year, it is a real long shot and not realistic at all. Doesn't rule out day trips though!!

1 comment:

Cher said...

I would highly recommend camping with a new baby- beleive me it is so much easier than when they are one and trying to walk!! We went when Delaney was about 7 weeks old and I had a great time.
Plus if you have a shower wish list I highly recommend the Baby Bjorn- excellent for taking those walks up in Desolation sound! :)