Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Finished

I finally finished reading Hawaii.

Although I have been reading this book for what seems to be forever, I was still sad to turn the last page and realize that the book ends in 1956. I wanted more. It is amazing epic novel that sweeps generations of people. I like learning about the west - the people that came, why they came, concepts of wilderness, wild places, the last frontiers, what people left behind, how ex-pats can be more loyal than the people left behind...

But, now I get to move on to fluffier reads for a bit, and a few books on being preggers. The books do help, you pick and choose, and some stuff resonates, and some stuff just sails clear past your head. My mat appts have been to my mind strange, I half expect my doc to sit down, run through a checklist, and it is more like, check bloodpressure, etc, check fundal height, check weight, hear heartbeat, see what can be spotted on an ultrasound, room for a few questions, and then I am back out booking my next appointment. I guess because everything is so new, and there is built in trust trust that you are doing reading and research on your own, and that you are making informed choices as a healthy adult that has a desire to give your baby the best chance that you can...

2 comments:

Cher said...

I found that doc's nowadays wait for you to ask the questions then give you the answers. THey don't volunteer anything and so you have to read tons of stuff so you know what questions to ask!

Refinnej said...

Yep. And if you're anything like most pregnant women (at least the ones I've met, lol), you have ALL THESE QUESTIONS to ask, and immediately forget once you're in there! A list can help.

Hee.