Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Creative idleness

We had a PD day at work - ethics and education. Heady stuff. First speaker was an interesting enough chap, but I couldn't help but squirm in my seat a whole lot. He seemed a bit off topic, mostly discussing Nunvut as a new territory and how unique it is - not sure how that fits in to a day that is focused on the two E's!... attended a workshop by Vancouver Sun reporter D. Todd who writes on "religion, spirituality, and ethics". Now this was a great session of ideas, just talking about the topics that normally make people want to squirm in their seats. These hours flew by - Todd mentioned something called "creative idleness" to describe how to deal with boredom that the young and aging seem to experience, and that objectivity doesn't exist, but one could strive for "objective pragmatism" in their lives. I agree, individuals don't get enough time to talk about the big things - Beauty, Art, Truth.. what it means to live as a "good" person. Some great ideas were floating about the room if you could hold on to one long enough to make it your own.

Nothing like getting fed, and then going in to another workshop. I definitely had some carb let downs in the afternoon, and it was so stuffy, and then by contrast so nice outside, it was hard not to look out the window and yearn to be out there, with the wind in my hair. Nothing like talking about climate at work, and knowing that the people who really needed to be at this workshop weren't. We had some improve to finish the day, and by then I was done with small talk. News is spreading, so it means that lots of little chats, which are nice, but as extroverted as I am... I still want to be able to retreat somewhere and recharge my batteries!

No comments: