Thursday, January 26, 2006

Why did all the good shows come to an end?

So, being solo for the night, I made the kind of pasta that I like and haven't had forever (giving myself heartburn in the process), got chocolate soy milk instead of vanilla, and rented the last 4 episodes ever of Sex In the C!ty.

The penultimate chick sitcom as far as I am concerned. I think most women could have (can) related to Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha, or Miranda at some point, and their friendship above all is something to strive for in our own female friendships. I don't believe that women have enough positive role models or "buddy" movies where chicks are supportive of each other in stead of competing with each other for the better man.

There are legions of movies like that for men (buddy movies that celebrate male friendships) - the Lethal Weapons, Beverly Hills Cops, Bad Boys, Legends of the Fall, Braveheart, Top Gun to name but a few. Not saying that chicks can't dig these movies, but women have gotten movies that didn't necessary centre around female friendships, it was more about competition, or linking up against a man in something like Thelma and Louise or a real tear jerker of a movie. I have noticed this trend starting to shift with movies like Calendar Girls and Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, and I am glad for it.

But, back to my original point. Did I have one? I miss Sex in the C!ty. The Carrie-ism, the crazy outfits, who can forget the shoes? I am glad that things somewhat neatly came together together in the end, a fitting finale but then again I am a sucker for a happy ending. I think I have avoided watching those last few episodes because I have been in denial that the show is actually done.

Funny how even just those opening bars are enough to chase a man away. Total time to just kick back and be a girl and immerse yourself in someone else's dramas for a few moments. It was fun for a quiet evening by myself!

No comments: