Monday, May 15, 2006

thirty three

So this is what 33 looks like.

Not much different than 32! Usually I take my birthdays off, but I didn't have enough vacation days off to stay away from work today. There was talk of just playing hookey, and now at the end of the day, that may have been the best option for us both.

The last few days have been a blur of just everything. A trip to IKEA to get some baby and office furniture, the last Crush game of the season, our maternity ward tour... which is a story all of its own... what the hell, time to interrupt our normal programming.. there were like 30 couples crammed in to the mat ward, most of which looked like they were just about ready to pop. I felt like a bit of an imposter with my 30 week belly - I think everyone there was pretty much due in the next few weeks because I don't look like they do... yet!!!! I am not sure if the trip alleviated any stress or created more. Honestly, the ward looks decent, and I have my fingers crossed that when the time comes I either get the room with the jacuzzi tub or the bath tub, because I would love to spend as much time in water as I possible can when the time comes.

We totally scored when we hooked up Refinnej and her boys. Talk about feeling like we are a lot more set up than we were at the beginning of the day. I felt way more grounded, and it was strange having items "paid" forward and remembering her boys from when they were young, and knowing that we are the next chapter. It was kind of humbling in a sense.

I am been really lucky with this pregnancy and upcoming birth. I have been able to get some no-nonsense advice from a few dear friends whom are moms, and then help with the pregnancy clothes from Sarah (of which I am keeping in fabulous condition), and now with the baby stuff. What do you say? Are there words? Being pregnant has brought me to a different stage in a few relationships, a lot more understanding, and then a different place within myself and my relationship with Ken as we move in to another stage.

Different awareness too. What is important to some people, and the battles you are willing to fight, and what kind of environment you want to create for your kids. I had a coworker send me an email to see if we were interested in a high end furniture set that was a great deal at $2500. Um, that is more than the last 4 cars I have bought.. not happening for my child, I wish I could, but nope, that is way hard to justify.

Ok, back to my long winded ramble about my weekend. Dinner with my cousin and girlfriend Saturday night.. that was .. um.. different too. He is just cut from a different clothe and I appreciate the effort, and it was an ok night. Then a great brunch on Sunday, and a disjointed afternoon where Ken left to play hockey and I went with the family to go to White Rock for a stroll in the surf and fish and chips. Always excellent.

Then today. Aging. Being at work. Feeling like I had the attention span of a gnat. Discovering I probably am a little lactose sensitive, or intolerant as within 30 minutes of quaffing a chocolate milk I turned in to a lean mean farting machine with the added bonus of stomach cramps. I don't drink a lot of milk anymore, so I think this just did me in and well, will definitely impact whether or not I grab a glass of milk instead of soy in the future..

And then a call about 4 o'clock.. and I could tell from the tone in Ken's voice that something was up. What was up was a deep gash across the knee and a trip to emergency. Luckily enough we weren't there forever and they stitched him up good.

Folks grabbed dinner, so we got to head home and celebrate my birthday and it was a great end to a slightly chaotic day and weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday to you! Amazing how there is so much empahasis put on birthdays, but in the end you feel no different than the day (year) before. I turned 30 in March and felt no different that day than I had the day beore at 29.

Glad you had the hospital tour. Have you done your prenatal classes yet? I will be interested to hear how they go.

I am going to respond to your emails, jut might be a few days as Wyatt, my mom and I are going on a trip today to Quesel to see my grandma and will be back Saturday.

Anonymous said...

'Twas your birthday??? WOW - HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Well, If I was a masseuse, I'd offer up a massage. If I was an esthetician, I'd pamper you with a pedicure. If I was a chef, I'd treat you to custom created edible delights! If I was a bartender, I'd mix you a drink...well, maybe a virgin cocktail! But alas, I work on websites. So, I'll leave you many happy birthday wishes on your blog!! Hope to see you soon! BUG HUGS!!