Friday, May 19, 2006

The Buzz

So today is the launch of that great big movie, a natural off-shoot from the intensely popular book that has created controversy coast to coast, continent to continent. Everyone has an opinion, and is more than happy to talk about it.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting tired of the ongoing flogging of this poor horse? Every time you turn on the tv you get to hear about the stars of the show, or this new feature, or how the critics are responding, or the new tour you can take, or the book club you can join to discuss and disseminate the main issues within, or how the church is responding, or how someone in BF Nowhere has their undies tied in a knot because the ideas are just too big and too out there for the red states to be palatable for.

If you aren't sure what I am referring to by this point, sorry, but I think I want to stay in vague terms rather than be picked up every time someone googles the book or the movie. Although I am sure that with the influx of people just flogging, er talking, about it, it would be quickly buried in the pile of chatters like me.

I enjoyed the book. I like Br0wn's style. He tells a good story and this book has people talking about issues long buried (which I think it is a good thing). But it is like the sound of people jumping on the Canucks bandwagon once we start to win. It is so popular at this point it has become a marker of popular culture.. "what, you mean you have not read the book yet??" and you can hear the jaws dropping, kind of like at a certain point if you declared you had never watched Friends or the Simpsons... you were like a social outcast who maybe just did their own thing and ok with it. I don't know if I will run to see the movie. Yes, I am curious, will it live up to the hype? Will it be a dynamic story, or will it fall flat on the silver screen?

I just don't feel the need to rush the gate. I am sure it will be around for a while. In fact, all this buzz is a turn off. Will the movie be as good as the book? Probably not. Would I feel like a sheep heading in to drop off my greenbacks and join the cue? Yup. So, who knows. Eventually we will see it. When... ???!!!!!!

2 comments:

Refinnej said...

I enjoyed the book, but I'm not in a rush to see the movie, either. Funny how the HP hype didn't bother me this way.

Also, Mr. Hanks? NOT at ALL what my mental image of the main character is. In fact, ICK.

Anonymous said...

Funny... I read this because I picked it up in an airport in Amseterdam about 6 months before it ever appeared in north america (and I had it in paperback)! I bought it because there were 3 english books to choose from and it looked interesting, and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it!!! Then, about a year later, it became this huge thing, and I fell off it... funny how the buzz turned the tides! I suppose with the buzz, it became something other than a well-written thriller with an interesting premise.