Saturday, November 23, 2013

Impulse book buy - Success!

Last weekend when I went to Costco, I realized that I had pretty much read all of the books on my shelves that I wanted to read in the foreseeable future.

I trolled up on the down the book section, and nothing was really grabbing me.  I first started by picking up the Rosie Project.  It looked decent, but I wasn't quite sold on it.  Then this one jumped out and said "try me" in a slightly accented voice.  So I did.

I would describe this book as the literary version of Forest Gump meets Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.  I really enjoyed this book.  I would cribe it as having a black sense of humour, and completely oddball characters that were refreshing in their originality.  It has been a while since I laughed out loud so much in a book, or just enjoyed the novelty of a read.  I think Terry Fallis' books on Canadian politics that were like that for me last year.. funny, not too serious, and totally different.

This book is about Allan Karlsson, a 100 year old Swede that one days decides life in the old folks home is just not for him.  The adventures begin right away, and there really is never a dull  moment.  I sped this through this read, and as I said, I really enjoyed it.  Carpe diem, and hoist a cold one :)

No comments: