Saturday, November 9, 2013

A little disappointed...

What caught me at first was the cover.  Who doesn't like wandering around a lighthouse perched on a cliff next to a tumultuous ocean?  The story itself also seemed intriguing...

This was a pretty quick read, and now that it is done, I feel really ambivalent about the book.  I will not be shouting from the rooftops to read this, however, there were a few moments I thought that the author really nailed a part of our human condition.  For me, this was a bit disappointing because I really wanted to enjoy it.  I was also the one that picked this book for our next bookclub meeting, so that was also in the back of my mind. 

The writing wasn't that consistent.  I found a few narrative lines that were blended didn't work that well for me, and that every now and then the author shifted in to the third person.  All in all, the ideas of the this novel were decent, execution at times was compelling, but at the end... meh...  it wasn't terrible but it really isn't a book that will stick with me a long time either.   This was a melancholic novel, and for me, I think I enjoyed the parts about the lighthouse keeping the best.

No comments: