Thursday, January 25, 2007

Teething Sucks.

I can't believe it has been over a week since I have posted. I am not sure how this post is going to evolve, it could be long, it could be staggered. Who knows. I guess we will all know when we reach the end of it!

There have been a few funny moments where I thought "I really should blog about this" and then something else caught my attention and off I went. Or I was feeling really wound up and frustrated, and figured that a good vent was just what the doctor ordered but then something else distracted me. Instead, I will see if I can come up with a few bits and pieces from the last week to make some kind of coherent post. Or not. Although being a new mom, it is harder to stay up on posts and my posts seem to be more of the collective ramblings more than anything else.

Brandon is teething. It feels like all the rules or ideas of how naps happen have gone out the window. The first tooth broke through about 10 days ago and it really wasn't that bad. The one beside it is ready to go and has been causing nothing but grief. I feel for his bright red cheeks, when he pushes his fingers up against his gums, when I lay him down to attempt to nurse and he starts to cry because his mouth hurts (and then I worry about my milk supply and I know I am not quite ready to give up the nursing yet, for all the trouble I had it is an amazing form of bonding), and in the middle of the night when he wakes up and we are trying to get him back to sleep again for what seems to be an eternity. The last week has been a bit chaotic. Some days I am totally on my game, other days I am a bleery eyed new mom that hasn't had a shower in a few days jostling their baby and trying to entertain them and then frittering away time on the computer and doing dishes and picking up stuff once our LO falls asleep.

Last friday I got out to watch our coed hockey team, and will get out again this friday. I miss playing, and I get the feeling I won't really get the opportunity to spare much at all before the season ends. Then again, I also want to get out for a skate, see that I still have it so waiting to play for a bit probably isn't a bad thing.. or this is what I tell myself to make not playing seem a little better! The other side to that coin is that you really do become more aware of your child's schedule and what times are reasonable to have someone watch him either at the game or at home. I am not quite up to the leaving him at home when it is the final bedtime so I guess things are working out as they should. The game times have finally been reasonable. It is hard to get excited to go out and watch a game at 11pm!!! Or even 10pm, like Ken's men's game tonight.

And it seems like tv has gone down the tubes lately.

That crazy boxing day purchase was a big 90 gallon fishtank. I love it. Not sure if I actually divulged that tidbit before, but I have always coveted a big tank and it is strange to actually have one of my own. Well, the fishies had started to be really anti-social as of late, and I was starting to get a little concerned. The first day this happened (fish were all staying at the bottom of the tank and were not excited about eating) I thought maybe it was a sign of a weather change or something else, and yesterday I finally dipped my hand in the tank and no wonder the fish weren't thrilled - the water was bloody cold, even for this 2 legged person! Even though the heater light was on, Ken checked it out and it was FRIED. So, off to the aquarium superstore I went last night. I am happy to say that we have happy, warm fish again. I also screwed with their zen and redecorated their environment. Always good to shake things up here and there.

Also started Brandon on solids. So far so good, although I introduced bananas this morning and the look on his face was priceless. I think the bananas went over like a lead fart. I guess it takes a few times with a new food to warm up to the new idea/taste/texture. There is also nothing like wearing rice cereal. I believe it's other name should be rice glue.

Got out for a glorious walk yesterday, and compared to a month ago, things are a lot better, Brandon has recovered really well and you would never know he went through such a big thing, I think I am finding myself again and feeling less stressed and crispy around the edges (except when he is really fussing about going to bed with this teething stuff), and getting out and doing more things again. Last Saturday was also nice, and we got out for a walk in White Rock. One of my most favorite places to go and had fish n'chips. It was awesome to get out, sit in the sun, and there was no wind so we weren't worried about Brandon catching cold. It was so nice, I am sure that I had a goofy permagrin on the whole time.

Speaking of which - my baby is 6 months old!! That means I go back to work in 6 months! WAH! As I am sure you can guess from one of my last posts, I am not ready to go back to work yet. I think denial has kicked in. I think that I am a little different now so it will be interesting to see what it is like to go back to work. What attitude I will have, how I approach it differently. How we all deal with the reality of daycare, LOL.

So what else? I am drawing a complete blank. I think I missed out on the extremes - the moments I was laughing like crazy or wondering if I was crazy from lack of sleep or trying to figure out what this cry or that cry actually meant. I just skimmed over most of the post and a lot of it is about Brandon. Hard not to get fixated on your child when you are at home, and that is your first concern, especially when they are an infant and their learning is happening fast and furious at this stage (crawling is around the corner). How am I doing? I'm ok. I need some new books to read, I am happier about my house because I am getting each of the rooms to a state that I like, and I am trying to get in some me time here and there. I have a yen to go on some kind of trip, I would love to go out for a dinner where I can wear some pretty clothes, and I need a haircut. Almost desperately. I think that will happen in the next few weeks. I will breath a big sigh of relief after Brandon's check up tomorrow, and I am glad it is almost the weekend because we have some outtings planned.

There have also been a few vents about phone calls, and not just by me, and I really can't get over how many blocked calls, or unknown callers, or out of state numbers, or toll free numbers appear on the call display. It blows my mind. I hate answering the phone to have that dead air space before a telemarketer comes on, or whatever prerecorded message starts to roll. So, if you fall under one of those categories, you get the machine. You don't leave a message. Oh well. Could not have been that important anyway.

Time to mosey off. I think I have unloaded enough to cover the last few days.

No comments: