Sunday, January 28, 2007

ch-ch-ch-changes

BB (before Brandon) I must admit I never really noticed kids or babies all that much. I enjoyed the babies of my dearest friends, and just cruised through it all. When I was pregnant, a friend thought it was funny that I didn't really notice babies, or coo all over them (yet).

Now I notice kids everywhere. I talk babies. I am paying forward advice and bits and pieces of things that work for us to other parents (or 'rents to be). I look forward to visits to zoos and aquariums and parks and everything else and being able to play and continue being a big kid with our kid and seeing wonder in his eyes when we do something new.

On our co-ed hockey team, there are a group of us with young kids and we share the good, bad, and ugly stories over beers and nachoes. There are new kids popping out all over the place - there are new strollers or car seats at the team tables, and swelling bellies. I am sure that there is a baby boom presently happening, or the difference is that I notice this now because we are 'rents now. Not DINKS.

It is funny - the transformation doesn't happen overnight. It happens slowly through pregnancy and then the first few months after birth, and then you realize that the Mom Hat is yours, not your mother's (although she still has one). You realize you are everything that you were... just more.

No comments: