Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Torch hits town

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the big O that is hitting town. Somethings have been done well, and other things... well. Let's just leave it at that so this does not devolve in to a vent.

Here on the west coast, I can't see this happening again in my lifetime so it was important to get out and see the torch drift by with the kids, especially since it was literally at the end of our street. Child herding was successful and we were out of the house before 8:30 and it was cool watching the crowds build and people start to gather. There was excitement, and it was neat seeing everyone wearing their Canada gear. I think it is important to be proud of your heritage, it is part of your identity.

Here is proof that as a mom, you don't always get the chance to check out what you look like before you leave the house. I only look a little goofy. A torch exchange happened where we were, so we got pictures taken with the torch and yes, I had to touch it. The concept of the flame having traveled from Greece, and having passed through so many hands is heartening. It helps remind us of how we are all connected, somehow, in ways that are not always fathomable.

Like many of these events, there was a lot of build up to the torch runner arriving.. the torch was passed to our torch bearer, and on it moved. It seemed really fast, and then we were trundling back home. There was a community celebration moments away, but I knew there were thousands of people there. If I was solo, I would have gone. With two young kids in tow... no thanks. I may have been able to see something, but them - especially Brandon... he would have seen people. Lots of bodies. That is about it.

Well, that was our big O experience. I am glad that the kids can look back and now that they touched it and were a part of it. The torch is more grassroots, touching people, moving through communities. The big O - well, it just seems surreal that it is happening a short distance away, and all this bru-ha-ha isn't happening half a world away... it is here, our backyard. It effects us all, and yet ...

No comments: