Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A curious incident

You would almost think it was NaBloPoMo with the amount I have been posting this month. Like Nej, I seem to have the urge to track the books that I have been reading this year. I just finished reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-time. It wasn't what I was expecting, but then again, I am not sure what I expected, if that makes sense.

It was a quick read and it does start off with a bit of a bang. It is a bit of an awkward read, especially when the first chapter starts off with a 2. I wondered at first if I had missed something. This is a unique book, and it is also a good read. It is first person narrative about a highly functioning, autistic, fifteen year old boy. It begins with the murder of the neighbors dog, and what unravels from this action is pretty revealing. I think this book delivers some insights as to how a person with autism functions and sees the world and the pace of the story was pretty swift. I must say, at 250 pages, I would have felt a bit ripped off at the $29.95 cover price, but I did get it for a fine price through that big online book company, which helped. I read so damn fast that paying full price for a smallish book, no matter how intrigued I am by the book is a little frustrating. If you stumble across a copy of this, it is well worth a look.

No comments: