Friday, March 14, 2008

on the move... again

I can't believe it. I am switching jobs, again!!!! For the third time this year, I am on the move.

O M G.

After staying with my last employer 10 years, and the one before that 7 years, I can't believe I have created so much change for myself in such a short period of time. I can't believe I am doing the rounds and saying good bye again. It is crazy - especially since here I made really good connections with all kinds of folks right away, and am a good fit, and have been going to the gym, and had projects on the go, and even been on a first name basis with the higher ups. I know that they want to keep me, but here, at this point, they can't offer me a permanent position. Not for another 2-3 years. Plus the guy I am replacing in my current job, could choose to stay away for the next 2 years, and yes, there will be movement, but the movement is created by people going on leaves, but not actually resigning.

So, I am on the move again. The new job comes with some really good benefits besides being permanent. I should have an office with a view, even if it looks like I will be sharing the space. It too comes with a gym membership (I intend to keep going) and the staff are fairly new to the job, and excited to make changes. I am joining the team so to speak at the right time. There is a mat top up, and if I wanted to further my education (yes, that is possible) it would be free. This stuff makes my head spin. I am going for coffee with the VP this morning, I have no idea what I am going to say! I guess it could be a form of an exit interview...

When I left my last job, I truly felt done with that place. I was actually somewhat choked up yesterday walking in - I enjoy it here, the people are pretty cool, and I have been learning a different aspect of the job. I don't really see myself as done here, but the timing and the new opportunity, I have to follow it. Plus it comes with some supervisory duties actually in the title, which means I can start moving on in time too. Nice to have official rather than indirect.

I'm happy - the security helps take an edge off that has been there on the backburner these last few months. It is hard worrying about whether or not you made the right call to leave a long term job for a one year contract with the possibility of an extension. In fact, I got offered an extension here on Friday, deferred making an answer, and found out about the new job offer late Tuesday. Did I mention my head has been spinning?

I have 2 weeks left, and will start the new job on April Fools. Hard to believe I switched jobs at Thanksgiving, and now, the next turkey holiday, I am switching again. Yup, I am still wrapping my mind around this.

No comments: