Wednesday, February 6, 2008

One helluva life story

I have sat on a few good reads for the last while. Perhaps because I haven't really had the chance to sit down and hammer out a few updates to the old blog.

I plundered my way through the Diogenes trilogy, which is part of the larger Agent Pendergast series by Preston and Child. I seem to return to their books time and time again when I need a blustery page turner that is a quick read and thoroughly entertaining. I think in the last month I went through 4 of their books in quick succession (and I really enjoyed them all, although some more than others, of course) and it is time to take a break from the last few of their's that I have not read and perhaps discover a few other good authors/reads.

I didn't make it out to January's bookclub. The planets aligned in such a way that it just wasn't possible for me, but the book we were reading was awesome. I thoroughly recommend it as a great read, and for someone who isn't always in to autobiographies, this one is worth picking up. It is called the Glass Castle and the tale of Jeannette Walls is told from between the covers. Wow. What a life story this woman has. Very insightful, and there are images from this book that will stay with me for a long time (both positive and negative). I had a hard time putting down this book, and I admire Wall's honesty for putting her life story out there like she has. Of course, once you begin to write even you own story it takes on a life of it's own, the life she describes is unreal, and makes you realize that normal is limited to your own life and observations, and that there are as many ways to live as there are moments in the day.

No comments: