Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My baby is one.

One. 1. The big digit. More than 12 months. A whole damn year since I gave birth! URP!

Where the hell did it really go?? Sure, I have been raising a baby and avoiding work, being a wife, being a friend, and a daughter with an attitude (hard raising parents, especially our own mothers), and all those other hats you get to wear in your time six feet up, but really, I know I am in my 30s, and we have a baby, but holy shit has this year gone fast. Brandon turned 1 yesterday, and I go back to work in 7 days. Maybe a month from now I will be a little more excited about returning to the world of adults, but I am not there yet.

I gave Brandon his first cut. Nej will be happy because there is no longer a need for a haircut intervention. The long wispy (and oh so adorable) curls are gone and he definitely looks like a boy. Enough people asked me about my little girl that it was more than time to bring out the scissors. It was a momentous event for us, and yes, I will keep his hair in a bag. I am sentimental!

Brandon's birthday was great. Had a quiet morning, and then we went to Deer Lake and I took Brandon on the old fashioned carousel that they have. The first time around he went on one of the smaller horses that doesn't move, and the second time around we picked a big one. It is pretty fast, and the first time that the horse went up his eyes were wide as saucers! It was great, we wrapped things up with a bit of a walk around the lake, and then headed towards home. We had all the gran'folks over, and my brother, and we had a great seafood dinner. Brandon went to town on his cake - he had icing everywhere. I was proud - he was covered in the white and blue sugar - ears, hair, in between all his fingers, and he was mashing cake in to his mouth with a big smile on his face. After I upload my pics, I will add a few for posterity's sake.

This weekend we will have friends and family over for a BBQ and hopefully the weather holds since our place really isn't that big. RSVPing seems to be a bit of an issue but we will just roll with it and whomever is able to show is great! We will have a good time :D I am in "gettin'er done" mode, I have a list and I am knocking a few things off of it. Those projects that you try to put off forever, well, i figure I should get a few done before I actually go back to work and have less free time. I am also waiting with baited breath for my copy of HP to show up. Apparently it isn't always wise to preorder and not pay for the quicker shipping. *AHEM* I do have some less than stellar moments...ah well. It is sunny and here I am inside. And unlike all those times I sign off wishing for a nap (they never happen), I am going to head out in the sun and sand down my adirondack chairs so I can refinish them (yes, that is one of those projects).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After Wyatt turned one, we finally cut his hair too.... my mom was driving me crazy nagging me to cut it because so many people thought he was a girl. I didn't really care, I liked his longer hair. But, of course, like any mom, I thought he was just as adorable after. I kept some of his hair too... Amazing how something so ordinary and everyday like a haircut, can be such a momentus occasion.

Refinnej said...

Yay for the haircut!!! My scissors & I will rest easy now. LOL