Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Back at the old grind

Here I am.

In a different office, but the same kind of bare 4 walls. In the next few weeks I will print off some pictures of my guys to plaster around me, and bring in some "flora and fauna" pics to cover up some of the institutional beige, but here I am.

Maternity leave is over. Bye-Bye. Ken dropped Brandon off at daycare, and he did pretty good. I have only called twice to find out how is he doing, and apparently he is acting much like every other kid acts when they first start daycare.

It felt weird walking down the hallway - feeling like everything in my life is different, and yet the faces are the same, some a little older looking, some a little thinner. It is pretty quiet around here, and my office is still as dysfunctional as it used to be, but in different ways. Brandon was up at 4:30 am, so our day has been even longer than what we figured it would be like. So I feel a little fuzzy around the edges, need to bring in some teabags for the afternoon lulls, and well, it feels strange to be surrounded by adult voices again.

It almost feels like a new job, although all the old information is flooding back pretty damn quickly. Apparently my brain did not atrophy over the last year. I have had to do some name changing, and order business cards again, and stock my desk with some of the supplies that I like. My personality will slowly creep back in to this space and I will make it palatable for me.

On a total aside, I am over halfway through HP. I haven't had a lot of time to read in the last week. It felt like a real sprint getting to today, but I am really enjoying the moments I have to read. Tonight will be an early night, so maybe I can prop my eyes open long enough to get through a few more pages. It is a good/bad thing when you reach a book like this, you can't wait to read it to the finish and find out what happens, but once you reach there, this journey is done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel much the same way about being back at Cap. It feels right, but weird. Of course, I was only back for Monday and Tuesday, then Jonah came down with Strep Throat, so he's out of daycare for a few days until he's no longer contagious, and I'm out of work to take care of him. I feel I have changed completely, but no one else can see it. Maybe it is a change of focus? I hope Brandon gets used to daycare quickly, your workday will be easier.