Friday, August 24, 2007

Fridays

Fridays seem to be where it's at for the last while for when I seem to have a moment to catch my breath and ruminate here.

The last week has been pretty good. There have been a few moments where I felt pretty vacant, like I was day dreaming with the real dreaming part, just kind of frittering away time aimlessly. I guess almost like procrastinating, but not really.

This is a strange week to be off. I have only been back at work for 3 weeks, and I guess, ultimately I wasn't really off this week since I still went in on Tuesday and Thursday night. My board commitments have also drawn to a close, and I was a bit more emotional about that than I thought - it feels like a bit of a passing of an era for me. Not really the being on the board, but I guess that really strong connection to my place of work. Well, that doesn't really describe it either, I guess I feel like more a free bird, surveying the landscape of opportunity when it comes to how I spend my working hours.

That said, I did get a morning walk and visit with a dear friend, got out for a fabulous picnic with my boys - it felt strange since we went up to Burnaby mountain and explored an area I have never been too - the views were superb, and there was even a centennial rose garden. Who knew?! I went to SFU for more years than I care to admit, and that was right there!!! Ah well.

Attempted to go for a walk out at Barnet Marine Park... but the beaches and trails are still closed since the oil spill. Then I didn't know what to do with myself, or my sleeping baby. So off we went for a drive, and we ended up out at Buntzen Lake. It was beautiful - long enough for a power nap and we went for a great hike. I would have taken him to the lake but it is notoriously cold and I was really unprepared. I need to get better about bringing everything and the kitchen sink again - I have almost pared down too much. Today we got out to White Rock again. It was a total west coast of Canada type morning. I have discovered a great little coffee shop where I grab my mocha and a date square for us to share, and then hit the path, and then the beach. Today there was marine fog that kept rolling in. It was magical! Whispy fog clinging to rocks, the tide was out a fair bit (coming in though) and there weren't many people. It was an awesome morning. Then we visited with Ken, and some of clients, and it was cool - time went by way too fast though.

Brandon is such a cool little dude - this afternoon after his nap we were out in the backyard. I really needed to do some watering, and clean off his stroller. Apparently it isn't such a good idea to go traipsing around the salt water and not wash off stainless steel parts. *AHEM* I also needed to clean out our water feature, which doubled as a mosquito breeding ground for a short period of time (before us and Mr.Bleach put a stop to that) so it was time to empty and clean. While I was doing that - my brother (who is finally growing in to the role of "uncle") played with Brandon. Brandon loves the water. Even cold water coming out the tap - he was soaked, for what, round 3 today???!! He was loving playing with the water, trying to grab the water, and then crawling in and out of the stream. It was a lot of fun to watch.

Now, despite all the fun, I am feeling a bit blah. Summer is going by way too quickly. On a positive note, we have a last hurrah next weekend and we are going back out to Pimainus for a few days (and we have our own cabin! YAY!!!) and it looks like I may be getting a half spot on my old hockey team. So all is well - well, the skin on my feet are pretty dry, and I worry about money and budgeting, but hell - who doesn't?

No comments: