Saturday, July 7, 2007

Prognosis: hot weather

It looks like summer is officially arriving. I have been battling a beast they once called a laurel bush during most of Brandon's snoozes this week, so I decided that during today's nap, it was all about me, or at least for an hour when I grabbed my book and worked on my tan. Yes, I know it is evil to tan and all the dangers of burns, but I figure in moderation, and out there with a book, isn't a bad thing and could prevent future burns this summer if I have a decent base of colour. Plus, the added bonus of my skin clearing up too and not being nearly so red cheeked.

Brandon pulled a side table down this morning and has a good sized goose egg on his forehead. Scared the crap out of me, and of course, he was a terrible patient and didn't want ice or a cold washcloth held to his forehead. He seems to have survived, even if my parenting isn't always perfect. LOL...

The brakes are being done this afternoon (thank god for a man who isn't afraid of elbow grease beneath a car) and with the new tires, my truck is good to go. Go where, you may ask? Tuesday I head north to visit Nej and the boys - should be a grand adventure and I feel like a big kid, totally excited about just hanging, and talking about everything and nothing, and exploring her neck of the woods. It will also be Brandon and I's first solo trip, we finally broke and I got my own cell, so I can be reached, but it will be strange heading out without my wingman.

It has been an exciting week in other ways too, one dear friend got married last weekend, and other friends greeted their first child in to the world. This new version of me loved holding a newborn, and really, I can't believe that Brandon was ever so small, and once again, where the hell did the last year go?

Hmm, what else in this post about randomosity? I finally bite the bullet and told my coed hockey team I don't see myself playing full time in the fall. If a half time spot is possible, that is great, or to spare, but it isn't going to happen full time. I felt half bummed after I sent that email, it was a big decision for me, but now I almost feel free because of it. What happens with the team next is out of my hands (for me), and well, if a half time spot doesn't work there are other teams that I could spare for. Time will tell, and I am not feeling as clingy to that past as I have been, in the past. Underlying the theme of all of my going through my old stuff and purging is letting go. I am still bad about releasing some things/people, but a far cry from where I was. Funny though that when you are feeling low, everything else that could bug you starts to creep in and invade your consciousness. Then I did some fretting about Brandon - just hoping that his development is on track (it seems to be, but being a somewhat typical parent, I worry at times, I think it is natural) and that I am doing enough to challenge him, and keep him entertained. Ah yes, the other bridge to cross, I am slowly putting him in the crib more and more. Every night he spends some time in there but I don't think we have this transition down pat yet. It is challenging, and in some ways making my life easier for breastfeeding in bed, makes this part a little harder too. Hard too to know how long to let him cry it out, when to respond, but I guess between the three of us, we are figuring it out. As he nears a year old, he is getting to be so much cooler - his personality is shining through (he is such a happy, good natured tyke) and I just really value our time together and want to hold on to these summer days before I go back to work for a long time. I think for us it will work with the hours I will be working - to work the 2 nights, and be home the days during the week will make a huge difference because we can still get out and do stuff, and aren't just limited to weekends. I am sure it is a bit redundant as I keep returning to the same theme (going back to work) but it helps me work through my responses and make it seem more real. Becoming a mom and being home, and learning how to relax and change my pace has been such a lifestyle break (in a positive way) it will be another learning curve soon, and well, I will have to listen to all of my own advice about time management....

No comments: