Monday, October 2, 2006

Woke up funny

Ever have one of those days were you just feel odd? That is me today. Am sorting through it, and who knows why, but today is one of those days that I feel like a worry wart. Worrying about my parenting style (or lack thereof) and second guessing myself a bit.

While I think it is important to be aware of what other people are doing, what the major theories of development are, and taking note of what seems to be working, I think my doctor had it right when we were talking about sleeping habits (etc) when he said that "there are many right ways" without judgment in his voice.

Ken and I do know our baby best, but it is hard not to get caught up in the different theories, or books, or philosophies on how and what is the best way to childrear. I think what is working best for us is to observe other folks, do some reading, talk about it all, figure out our attitudes, talk about what we don't like, and then see what works with Brandon. I don't think we have one particular style, in fact my attitude is much more of a blended attitude in which I am approaching parenthood much like how I approach my concept of religion - I am taking bits and pieces from a vast and diverse range of sources and with a little dash of synergy, creating something that works for me, for Brandon, and for us. With a bit of chaos tossed in for good measure since I tend to learn by doing, and then readjusting to discover what works.

On a totally different note, Brandon held his head up today, looking around and checking things out from his belly for the first time! Yes, he has held up his head and moved it side to side, or pushed up off our chests so far, but not like this! A very cool milestone!

Time to do some cleaning and putting things back to right. It is helping having less clutter, but we still aren't there yet.

Weekend blitzed by way too quickly. Saturday we got to spend the day with Gilly (where the hell did the time go, but so nice to just hang out in your pjs, do some cooking, some gossiping, and some laughing) and then went out for a fabulous night with some dear friends. It was great. Funny though that 10ish or 11 is the new "2am" for me. At least to get on the road home to complete the day cycle with Brandon.

No comments: