Tuesday, October 17, 2006

the saga continues

I am currently sitting on the floor typing this.

Ongoing evolution (or de-evolution) of our place hits round 3, or 4 is it now? I must admit, painting and reorganizing a living room is almost worse than moving in. Remember all those posts where I thought that I was getting rid of stuff. Well, my books must be like rabbits because holy shit do I have books, stuff, and do-dads.

This is the year I think I am moving away from the clutter. The ongoing process that has been beneath the wedding, pregnancy, and now parenthood. Trying to get a handle on all the things that I have held on to for decades because I had the space and I didn't really want to question why I was holding on to said objects. The decluttering and evolution has been like walking down the strip in Vega$. You cover a long block, take in the sites, and then realize that if you continue on, there are more great sites that are going to reveal themselves to you if you so choose. Ok, maybe not the best metaphor but there have been stages this year where I have been bursting at the seams with how proud I am of what I have let go. Then there is the other side of things, where I am absolutely dumbfounded about how much more there is to go through and where the hell did all this stuff come from?

There were times yesterday when I was putting things back together and I had to walk away because I didn't know what to do with everything. I am letting go of more books, and I have a box of do-dads that are being released back in to the world. I just don't need to be surrounded by so many things anymore. I guess that is a part of growing up - having fewer items around that are more meaningful and *tasteful* (like who knew?)

Now that things are put back to right in the living room, I love it. No more muddy-putty coloured walls. I am surrounded by a robin egg blue-esque colour that is so bright and clean it makes it look like we have moved in to a brand new house. The whole palate has changed since we moved in, and it is shocking what a coat of paint can achieve in a tired room(s).

We no longer have a compu-nursery. Brandon officially has his own digs. Although if there has been so much change in the other rooms, it means that this room is a disaster zone.

I am waxing poetic again. You can't stay static. Things are changing all the time (so much so my head has been spinning this year). I guess somewhere along the line I am getting a little better at dealing with the changes, and with all this de-cluttering, better at initiating some of the change. This is not saying that I haven't embraced changes in my life, this is just a different type/set of changes. Changes like learning how to be more focused on someone other than myself. Like becoming part of a marriage/partnership, you have to learn to go from thinking as one, to thinking about two. Now we think about three. The same, but different.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

hey there lady.. did you like all the clothing?? talk soon Michelle