Friday, September 29, 2006

Disposable

I was at the market the other day and got in to a conversation with the teller and a mom since I was packing my groceries in the built-in shelf in the stroller and we started talking about fridges and strollers.

We are fortunate enough to have Nej's stroller which has already seen the backsides of her 2 children. So this is child #3 to experience the joys of this stroller and it is still going strong. The mom in the line up made the comment that her stroller (which was a good one to begin with) didn't even make it through one child!! HOLY SHIT!!! Then we all related that fridges and cars are not meant to last anymore. They are built to be replaced every 5-7 years (or many of them are) to encourage consumerism. This rankles me. I guess I can handle the changing nature of technology and knowing that my 3 year old computer is already dated, or a cheap pair of shoes that barely lasts it's season, but it is another thing for a fridge, or a stroller, or a car to just be done that quickly.

First off, I had no idea I could care about these things. Amazing what joining the motherhood can do to change your attitudes. Secondly, WTF?! I get that children's clothes are almost rented because they truly do grow that fast, but you should be able to buy the bigger items and feel confident about being able to pay them forward within a reasonable amount of time. BLARGH.

1 comment:

Cher said...

Well, I can tell you that all my girl baby clothes are on their 3rd child and I have to say holding out really well. It is so nice to see my niece in outfits my girls wore. Having said that most of them are Pl*ase M*M and Ch*ldrens Pl*ce- not cheap but good enough for 3- so there is some hope that you can pay it forward :))