Monday, September 12, 2005

Haze

I just stepped out of my office and you can smell the fire in the college. A little alarmed, I went out to one of the upper patios - viz is shot! I can maybe see west about 3-5 km, and then it is like the world stops. There is ash in the air, maybe this is what it was like after Mt St. Helen's went? Still no known cause, still burning. Ironically enough, the story in Vancouver's section of Canada.com is less informative than the one for Victoria?! Air quality is terrible, it is leaving a nasty after taste, and clinging to my nose. Ken's working out in that area, so I can only imagine how he felt driving around today?! A little rain couldn't hurt at this stage, but I don't think any is forecast until later on in the week. It looks crazy outside though - really sunny, blue skies to the left, and to the right, a white, stinky haze out of which buildings and bridges appear from.

1 comment:

Refinnej said...

You're pretty much describing the summer of 2003 around here. No ash, tho.

Ick. Hope they get the fire out quick-like.