Thursday, September 15, 2005

Destination: Flatlands

Another adventure looms on the new morn! We are heading to Alberta tomorrow morning on holidays, a mixture of visiting relatives and the places they are from, and seeing a little bit more of Canada.

First stop - Revelstoke, BC. Nestled between two spectacular federal parks, along the Columbia River. We should rock up late afternoon and the night is ours. After Revelstoke, we will pass through the Rockies, stopping in Lake Louise and who knows where else will tickle our fancy, and then through to Calgary to stay with a cousin. A few days in Calgary, and then down to the family farm in Milo. From Milo, we will check out places with such exotic names and Brooks, Vulcan, and Drumheller. I am really stoked about being able to explore some of the badlands, and maybe spend time in the Provincial Dinosaur Park. Alberta is just so geographically different than BC, I can't wait to see and explore more of it.

I just have issues driving there. No really, I do!! The only time I went I was good for about an hour before the undulating grass on the long, straight stretches of road would lull me close to sleep. You don't realize how different it is driving on the Prairies until you have experienced it. Then you begin to understand why Prairie folk feel claustrophic driving between the mountains and trees out here. Strange, but true.

Feels weird not packing camping gear, it almost feels too simple. Have some books, we are packing lunches for the drive, grab some CDs... and we are good to go!! I will try to post about my adventures over the next week - the unknown factor is pretty exciting. Maybe I will finally finish Stones from the River.. it is a great book but it is taking me FOREVER to plow through it.

AHEM. On another note, Survivor started with a wee twist. Should be an interesting show - the ruins are amazing. Dude, to be able to CAMP in a place like that!!!!

No comments: