Monday, September 5, 2005

Am I back home already?

Destination Reached: Saturday morning, about 9 am after hitting the road shortly after 5. Pimainus Lake was more than we imagined it would be. It is about 5500 feet above sea level, and 35km down a gravel road. It is remote, has cold running water and pit toilets.

It was also stunning, quiet, only a few people are/can be around, has a great proprietor, and the cabin was big enough to fit the four of us, but small enough to be quaint and just what we needed for eating, sleeping, reading, and cards. It didn't take long to unpack and hit the lake running (er fishing!). Ken caught his first fish, and then I caught one later in the day. We were all pretty tired, so it was an early night.


I took my dad out fishing Sunday night as twilight fell and the mist start to rise off the lake. We didn't catch any fish but it was magic being out there! A few loons in the lake, besides us that is, and we had the place to ourselves.

This is "Second Lake" and it was a smaller lake that you walked about 10 minutes beside a creek to get too. There are moose prints all over the place, and you see all kinds of birds, including Whiskeyjacks, ravens, herons, grouse, and other fowl. A few old fire rings, lodgepole pines that would creak and groan in the wind, and the fish were jumping.

Yup. We were enchanted by this place. This morning, Ken and dad went fishing early, and I slept in a bit before I headed out. Not finding them on the big lake, I wandered down to 2nd Lake, to see them rowing out near here. I walked further up the lake and found a tree stump, and just took it all in. The water is really clear, and there were birds making their morning noises. The morning mist was slowly disipating, and the sun was struggling to make an appearance. Eventually my dad spotted me, and we made various whistle calls to each other until Ken rowed to pick me up. Hard to believe that was 12 hours ago already. Back to work in the morning. It felt timeless up there, no TVs, no cell phones, no news, it was awesome.

1 comment:

Refinnej said...

What a pretty lake....makes me almost miss camping. LOL