Friday, August 5, 2005

Morning of bliss at the beach


White Rock has always been one of my favourite places to go, ever since I was a wee kid.

The weather finally held, and after dropping Ken off at work, I headed to the beach. It was awesome. There weren't many people there when I got there so I got skookum parking - across from where I was going to get fish n chips for lunch (Coney Island, our fav) and near the toilets!
After walking the boardwalk end for end, I pulled up a sand bar and my book, and chilled for a good hour on the beach. I then went for a wander, beachcombing along the way. I felt like a giddy kid, relishing these moments this morning. I saw tonnes of crabs being pulled away from tide pools as the water retreated, little tiny buggers that would disappear in to the sand if you got too close, only pinchers exposed for a brief moment! Then I saw the strangest crab - it kind of looked like a spider, with spindly legs, but its belly was SOFT? I picked it up in between its scrambles in the seagrass, but it felt foreign - not like any other crab I have seen/picked up. I saw shrimps and caught one in my hands, and waded in and floated in the water. I didn't really swim because the tide was so far out you were in the grass, and the grass had lots of travellers stuck to it, so I stuck to the bare, sandy areas.

After I had my fill of the beach, three hours had already passed, grabbed my lunch, and sat and watched life go by. Fed a few gulls, enjoyed my root beer, and off I went. Tra la la.

Tonight we are off to play shinny, although it is hard to be motivated to play hockey when it is close to 30 degrees out there!!!!

No comments: