Thursday, July 14, 2005

Changing times

The sun has come out!!! Amazing how it changes everything when you live on the wet, er, west coast!

Last night I went out for an amazing meal that could really only be called a celebration of life. A key person was missing from the table, and the wednesday night sushi ritual, but he is a part of all us that knew and loved him, and we all keenly feel his loss. It is really hard to believe that he has left us in his material form.

A group of us got together and went to Robson Sushi for an amazing all you can eat sushi experience. It seems like every time I go for Sushi I like it even more and I find more dishes that I can't pronounce but really enjoy. We feasted for almost 2 hours, and I was near the head of the table so all the dishes sifted through us first. The atmosphere was loving, and everyone was chatting back and forth, sometimes a little boisterous, sometimes a little subdued. I think we all talked about our friend in a way that was true for us, naturally, and in a way that wasn't painful. It felt healing, and it felt like so many bridges were spanned between diverse people who weren't all too sure of where to go from here. I know I feel like something has lifted from my chest, and the sours I bought after dinner at 7-11 tasted oh so sweet before I got parting hugs from friends as they dispersed for the evening.

It is funny talking about events like this in a blog, I don't want to put everything out there, hanging for anyone to see. I think with time you become more comfortable with this part of your voice, but it takes time. You want to be authentic, and real, but you don't want to expose too much either.

I managed to grab a ride out to the rink where Ken was playing hockey - PLAYOFFS! My superstar bagged two goals, and an assist, and it made the beer we had tailgating taste EVEN BETTER. Nothing like chilling at the end of the day, a cold one in your hand, and shooting the shit. All the guys had perma-grins on their faces because they won in overtime and pulled one out of the bag.

WOO HOO! So it was a really positive day and the glow still hasn't faded.



No comments: