Friday, September 21, 2007

A second wind

I am getting a bit of a second wind tonight, although I think that it is going to be really fleeting.

On the way home from work, my mantra was pretty much, fuck, am I tired. I didn't get to sleep until late (ok, pretty close to my regular time which is always pushing it, I have never been able to fall asleep early) and then Brandon woke up about 1am. Half dozed, half breast fed until 2am, when I was officially done and I woke Ken up to rock him for a bit. A while later, another attempt to put him down, and he was having none of it. I was so exhausted I passed the ball back to Ken, and he was up with him for the next hour until he was ready to go back to sleep. Morning came too damn early and here I am whining about the hour, and Ken gets to play hockey tonight, and his game hasn't even started yet! Although I really miss playing, I can't say that I miss some of the game times on a friday night.

It was a long day. Since we are down 3 coworkers and 3 new ones are starting soon, us survivors decided it was time to clean house. Holy shit was and is there clutter. A few of the ladies whom have left the building were total pack rats. There was shit going back to 98 and 99, and for people who complain about micromanaging, one drawer had no less than 40 bright yellow files in individual yellow hanging folders with several spares thrown in, not in alpha order, with the labels barely peeking over the tops of the folders so you couldn't really find what file you were looking for. When I have been covering the front desks, finding anything has been a nightmare, and all I want to do is retreat back to my office where I have pretty much reclaimed my space and filled a box full of shredding and 3 boxes of recycling..

So, once our office closed to the public, I cleaned. I recycled. I wondering why I decided to wear my really nice blouse today of all days. I was thankful I had a beer with my Indian buffet lunch, I put together confidential boxes of shredding, and I relabeled, sorted, and culled files. Then I cleaned out drawers.

Thankfully, the one thing I learned from physics is that second law of thermodynamics - that all natural processes tend to disorder, and it takes energy to put things back to order. So I got to be that energy today. But it was a good energy, cleaning and organizing and making the front not so much of a hellish cluttered mess where you are lucky to find a pen that works - speaking of which, I found a collection of 24 pen caps in the drawer. WTF??!!! Who the hell keeps pen caps??? And my coworker looked so normal... LOL One desk down, the other I will do next Tuesday night. It was my long day today, so ultimately I was well paid to clean house.

Now I am indulging in some chick lit - I am working my way through the Dev!l wears Prad@. I almost gave up after all the name dropping in the first chapter, but I am sticking it out and it isn't that bad - there are some amusing moments, but it is a pretty over the top light and fluffy book. My last read was far better - The Summer of My Amazing Luck... I actually made it through a whole bath without an interruption.

Fuck it was a long week. There were some good moments, but man, it just felt long and drawn out and tonight I don't feel all that chatty. I almost picked up the phone, but I think that I am better company for my book. I am glad we don't have big plans this weekend, I would love to garden (even if it is raining) or actually made it to a drop in yoga class. I need to stretch. I am stiff and my lower back has been bugging me all week as well.

No comments: