Tuesday, September 25, 2007

...and thanks for all the fish....

I figured an offhand reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the World was in order, since my world is in for yet another change.

I am stealing a page from Nej's book with this post.

After 10 years at my current place of employment, I am finally and officially leaving for greener fields. Of course, once I am in the thick of things at my new work, I am sure that I will discover their version of politics, and bitching and moaning, but it will be different bitching and moaning, and I will be a lot better paid and a little more prestige as well is attached. It is exciting, and I am a little sad (that stage will pass rather quickly) because it is the end of an era with my current job, but it is time.

I felt for my boss, that makes it 4 out of 6 staff to leave in less than a month. Personally, I am getting along well with everyone, but at this stage, that doesn't make or break the job. I am glad that I am not going to be around to do the training, and I will finally have an office that has a window - or will be close to natural light!!! After being in a box,within a box, within a greater box, and having had no idea of what the weather was, this will be a perk in itself!

All fingers crossed, they will let me go for a condensed 4 day work week, it means 8.75 hour days (35 hours is considered a full time work week) but that means long weekends, and Brandon only in care 4 days. I hope. The 3 days and 2 nights wasn't really working, so I was already prepared to let that go. I just hope my new employer goes for my proposed schedule of work. The leap of faith comes in it is a 1 year temporary job. My work place would not grant me a leave, so I am quitting, and hoping that this one year turns in to a "stay, we want you, you are trained and what we need, yay!"... in my line of work, we are pretty specialized at what we do and it is a somewhat stressful job, so this is generally how it works out if you are able to make it past the first 6 weeks.

So, I maxed out my extended health and bought new glasses, I am going for a massage tomorrow night, and I made sure there was no dental work that needed to be done.

It feels good to be moving on. I haven't really moved back in to my old office, all I need to do is bring a calendar home.

I think now I will print a few pictures of the family to bring in to my new office, maybe get a new plant, and start with a clean slate. Funny how things work out - my commitments to my workplace have all drawn to a close, and it is a good time for me to cut loose.

No comments: