Sunday, September 23, 2007

high chairs

A few weeks ago, a few of us hit a well known Canadian icon for coffee. Their high chairs sucked. Brandon couldn't fit in to it, and it was extremely frustrating to deal with. Not such a big deal, because in a coffee shop, you aren't exactly sitting down for a meal with a just over a one year old.

This morning was a different story. We were with Gramma, and out for breakfast, and the family restaurant we chose had the same type of high chairs. I know our kid is big, but give me break. He is 14 months old, not 3, we couldn't even wedge his feet in to the holes for his legs with his shoes off!!!! The high chairs are also gross - they are the plastic rubbermaid type, so the whole contraption looks like shit - obviously not fully cleaned, and not aging well either.

We just dealt with it and Ken and I took turns holding Brandon and attempting to feed the three of us. Then the service also sucked. I never did get the water I asked for a few times, and even after myself leaving the restaurant (and making eye contact with our server) because I had a wiggling worm that was grabbing the uncleared dishes off of the table it still took another 10 minutes to get the bill. If I cared enough I would call the manager to vent, but they have just lost our business. It gave me and my MIL had a good laugh at their expense, Ken thought we were nuts because we kept going on about the high chair - even the wooden ones that are really basic is a much better alternative... hell, the lunch I had a few weeks back at the Bread Garden was better! I wouldn't have imagined them to be more "kid friendly" than a family restaurant!!!

Their change table also left a lot to be desired - nothing like standing over the toilet to lean in to a slanted plastic hanging table to change your kid. N-i-c-e.

People wonder why folks with young kids stay home?? There is nothing wrong with how Brandon behaves when we are out - it is not having high chairs or a decent place to change your kid that makes a huge difference!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It bugs me how dirty the high chairs are, as Jonah eats right off the tray. So we usually take our Fisher Price portable high chair along with us, and strap him in that. At least I know it is clean. But if Brandon has sturdy legs, he may not fit into that either.

Wendy