Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The chaos

Well, the start of another session at my place of employment and chaos reigns. In our little office of 8 very strong willed female personalities, we are down 3. Our, in our location, we have gone from 6 employees, down to 3. Which means that give a few weeks, with no new hiring, we are looking like the chaos is going to a nice term for what work will look like. Plus, even if we do hire someone, chances are they won't have any experience and not that my job is rocket science, there is a huge learning curve that is involved before you even start to get a handle on all of the layers of inter-related information that you need to have at your fingertips.

It is funny though - I feel somewhat detached from it all since I have come back from maternity - I guess my bullshit meter is a little different, and I am taking it less personally. What matters is not here at work, and well, this is the paycheck that helps us do the things I want. I am not so cynical that I don't enjoy my job, and there is a certain amount of satisfaction from it, but my life is defined by my life outside of work and perhaps only a little from the satisfaction that I can get knowing that I can make a difference for a few people in some small way.

So work is bizarre. It doesn't matter to me since I no longer get flex days off and I have already taken all of my vacation, but those privileges are cut off for everyone else. Our culture needs to shift in a drastic way because there are a few coworkers who don't like to share responsibility, and hold on to what defines their job, and as a result, as I mentioned, there is no one else in our place of employment who has a clue of what we do, and perception is that our office is really stressful to work in - which is somewhat true a lot of the time.

Ah well. For me, I am getting along really well with everyone (honey moon period back at work) and I am getting back to my stride. The hours are challenging, with 3 long days and 2 short nights... I am really finding it important to get out with Brandon on those short days in the morning, otherwise it feels like hang with him (or go grocery shopping), get some housework done, he naps, I get the rest done, then he is up, make dinner, take him up to my folks, go to work, come home, spend a few minutes with Ken, sleep, start all over again. Wednesday is really and truly hump day. I am finding that I need to be organized, get that food shopping done, plan out lunches, and well, that should make life a little smoother around the edges.

I guess when the chips are down, it is a transitional period, and you have a few bumpy weeks as you get to know the lay of the land, and then you start to refine the new skills that you acquire along the way.. LOL

No comments: