Monday, June 4, 2007

Fast flow teatss???

I consider us pretty damn lucky that we have been so fortunate to get a lot of hand me downs when it comes to Brandon and kids gear. It is a life saver, and we pay stuff forward what we don't store, just because.

Well, I acquired a great set of baby bottles, a breast pump and all the accoutrements that go along with it, so I didn't really give it another thought. Although, I did think that those teats/bottle nipples with the number 1 on the side seemed to go down a lot slower than the ones with the 2s on the side.

It s eems that there are about 4 types of baby teats out there. The 1s, which are for newborns and the holes are pretty damn small (helps encourage babes to b'feed since bottle isn't easy), and the 2s have 2 holes in stead of one. What I didn't know was that once your baby was about 3 months old, you move to a 3, and about 6 months old, a 4. The difference is the rate of flow.

Since I just discovered this fact on Saturday, it makes sense that a bottle with a 1 takes a long time to get in him, where the 2s seem to go a lot quicker, but not really fast enough.

Needless to say I purchased some "fast" flow nipples today.

They work like a hot damn, and a feed for an 8 ounce bottle went from about 30 mins down to under 10!!!! Gadzooks!!!! In a sense, getting all the stages of nipples is a total money grab, but I am glad that I have either 2s or the fast ones now.. should make a big difference to the wee guy - making getting his feeds in a LOT easier.

Who knew?

2 comments:

Betty said...

I bet this is one of those things that nobody thinks to share. ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, that's news to me! Makes you wonder about breastfeeding moms though. Should I have pierced a second or third whole in my own nipples as my kids aged?? Think how fashionable I would be now, with an assortment of jewelry hanging from my piercings.