Monday, June 25, 2007

The back 40


Back at last!!! As I am catching up and writing this looking back a week, this was a good holiday. For me, there is something about a road trip and getting out and seeing new places (or old places that you haven't been for a few years), and just getting out of your normal comfort zone.

We headed out just over a week ago to stay with Nej for a night, and then to head further north to head out to Bowron Lake. Bowron is one of my favorite places to visit. As long as the weather doesn't sock in for several days, storms usually pass with in a few hours, and you get the whole gamut of weather types, every day. I love our family history here as well - that my great grandparents on my dad's side first moved here back in the 30's and carved out their existence at the lake, and then living in town the rest of the year. I love that my Nana's cabin still stands, even if it holds canoe carts now. I love that although the lodge has changed, and it is my cousin Jim that runs the show instead of my Uncle Roy, at this point it is still family run and my maiden name still is well known. Amazing that in this land of recent peoples, our family has been at this lake for 5 generations. That is something! I guess it is the whole ball of wax - I like the Cariboo, I like being out the woods and I was glad that we rented a cabin, it was good to be with my folks, the fishing was good, we got out to Barkerville for a day, saw some wildlife at a distance (black bears, moose, deer, rabbits, eagles, etc) the weather was decent - we got everything from thunder and lightning and hail, to bright blue sun. Sometimes the extremes happened all in the same day. There were times where the lake looked like the ocean!! Once again, so much for going for a swim. I am just not as willing to freeze my ass off to say that I made it in for a swim!!

It was a learning experience for how long it is good to have an infant in the car on a road trip (about 5 hours max a day is reasonable, make a note for future excursions), and it is always good to not have a dinky dough nut for a spare tire it a flat happens when you are out in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road (we had a real spare which was employed after a rock lodged itself firmly in a tire on the way back to the lake).

I could go on and on about our trip, but almost easier to do a bit of a photo collage.


I am not sure how to explain this tree, perhaps you can hazard a guess??!!!

Some rainbows and some kokanees, fresh out of the lake and on to the fire!

A wild strawberry... tasty, but small!!!

It is almost more dramatic when the blue skies peek through the clouds and the lake is as smooth as glass, I can sit and look out at the lake for hours.

No comments: