Friday, June 1, 2007

Beach weather


So, this morning, after a few plans got redefined, I packed up Brandon and we headed out to a Marine Park. I love it here. I love that it isn't that widely known, and that most times, I really don't see many people here. I love that it is on the ocean, and you never know what you are going to see. Today is was clear, a little bit of a breeze, and warm. It feels like July or August, not the first of June. I was pretty snap happy, capturing moments in the sun, and just trying to get some good candid shots. It is the strangest beach front area because the dykes are all built up from old asphalt and bricks, and cement blocks with poles or fence posts sticking out of them - a real hodge podge of urban detritus meets the pounding surf and relentless pull of the tides.

In some areas, it looks like walls that come out from nowhere along the beach, and random blocks of cement with a pole that has been forgotten in the sand. Then you look up, and you can see clear out to North Vancouver and then out across at Belcarra, and it is easy to forget that you are so close to the city. I love little known areas that people don't always frequent.. it is nice to not be shoulder to shoulder with the person next to you. In that way, I have to laugh when I realize I have still held on to some of my small town roots.

Ok. Perhaps scattered roots since we moved around a lot when I was growing up, although when push comes to shove, I do consider a small town in the valley my home town. Maybe not so much anymore, but it is where I consider that I "grew up"... which is a whole different post for another day.

No comments: