Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Well, I managed to finish that book...

I finished the Poisonwood Bible! Truly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I actually found that I enjoyed it, once the story got beyond the terrible, preachy father. It was a good story - long, drawn out, can't say I enjoyed all of the threads of the four daughters, but I am glad that I read it. I was a bit worried in the beginning, but the book started rolling once I got about 1/3 of the way through. Okay, saying that, sounds like I was pretty determined to get through the book...

Followed that one up with a glorious, fluffy, escapist read and now I am reading a novel called Fiela's Child which is another good book (Thanks Cher for some good reads over the holidays, just what I needed).

The holidays blitzed by - it is a lot of build up for a few days. Our Christmas was lovely, the kids were spoiled, and it was really neat watching Brandon explore Christmas this year. Some great food, and then some not so great food. I think the dinner I had at my sister in laws has officially turned me off of turkey. Nothing like watching the bird get carved and then noticing that it is raw in the middle... and then eating two hours later and just thinking.. wow, that ham looks really nice!!!! Last big dinner was at my mom's, it went over okay (noisy! which is good, considering my mom's side would only get together between 4 and leave by 7:30 in the past) but my scallop potatoes tasted good, but needed a lot more time in the oven.. nothing like cooking for 16 and trying to judge cooking time...

Since I have discovered a great crock pot stuffing recipe that tastes as good as in the bird... I think a few beer can chickens on the barbie and crock pot stuffing are the way to go. Avoid that turkey hangover, and too many leftovers, and well, half my family can't really eat it anymore so.... hello chicken!

Between Ken and I we were pretty low key for each other this year, although he did spoil me a little more than I spoiled him... except we are going to VEGAS BABY!!!!! we will be there for about 48 hours in a few weeks and we will run and play and go go go!!!!! It was a total surprise (I knew we were going away, just not where) and I think it will be really cool.. PARENTS GONE WILD!! HAHAHHAHAHHAAH.

No comments: