Wednesday, December 2, 2009

so many little bits

Funny after posting just about every day for a month, you start to get in to a habit, or on a roll.

Few things happening in the sporting world. I will leave the big one alone, the price of fame - where does privacy even start? Does the public need explanations? Sad commentary about public consumption and public lives.

Ah yes, but the really interesting stuff for me has always been in hockey. Ovie being himself, and then that poor guy with the cut leg (some place I never went mentally when I played, scary stuff when skates come up). The really bizarre incident was the slash that happened in a Panthers game a few nights ago. After not getting his man, Panther Ballard takes a wicked slap at the net and nails his goalie, Vokoun. Not only does he not check to see on his goalie, whom is bellowing out in pain and flopping around on the ice, but he takes another whack with his stick and succeeds in breaking it on the goal post. W T F ?? I think this is a play that should be reviewed by the league. Scuttlebut indicates that because they were on the same team, nothing happens. I think that it is BS. That swinging stick was vicious, and Ballard did not even stop to check in on the guy whom obviously went down as a result of said swing. A move that was not classy, made him look like a complete ass, and well, when a player acts that subconsciouslessly, and doesn't think, oh yeah, they should be suspended by the team. Behaviour like that should not be condoned by no action, even if was team mate on team mate. It was a vicious slash.

Canucks won tonight - which was nice. I still think the starting Olympic job isn't going to Bobby Lou though..

Hmm, what else? I should be sleeping. I am tired, my eyes hurt, but sleep isn't coming. ARGH!

So, I think I will order my Christmas pictures. Why not?!

I took the boys to the Reifel Bird Refuge today... What an awesome experience. There are no, and I mean no anorexic ducks here. They are all fat. Verrrra healthy ducks and geese. Verra friendly ducks at that. I was hoping to see some snow geese, but we could only see them on the shoreline from a distance. But hear them we could - especially when the flock would take flight and move around, the cacophony of sound could be heard from miles away. It was enchanting. A beautiful fall day - I should have gotten an earlier start to our day, but alas, kids happened so we spent an hour in rush hour traffic coming home. I do not miss that.

We did see sandhill cranes, lots of mallards, coots, widegons, black-crowned night herons, chickadees, and swallows, and I do not know the names of the other birds we saw. A great place to go walking, some blinds to hide in, some towers to see from. I packed some food and some seed, and we made a real day of it. Brandon got tired and I had to carry, coerce him to continue a few times. Connor was pretty good too for a bumpy ride in the stroller. We have Nej's stroller from her first born and let me tell you, that stroller takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. 11 years old and the stroller is still a kick ass piece of kid machinery - I have taken it everywhere and Brandon can even perch himself off the back and hold on while I push! What is amazing about being a mom, is what you learn to do because you have to. Like pushing a stroller, feeding a kid a bottle, and holding the other as they try to feed the ducks, while trying to take some pictures.

After two weeks and 20 cm of rain, it is amazing what a beautiful place it is we live in when things dry out. Tomorrow I may haul out the Christmas lights, or dream up somewhere else to go and enjoy the sun in.

No comments: