Sunday, May 17, 2015

Fabulous trilogy.

The best way to discover a trilogy is just after the final book is written.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series.  Well, except for about twenty pages written in italics. My older self now cringes when I think about how I used to use italics in the papers I used to write in  my undergrad degree.  Italics drive me buggy now, and I have to really work at not skim reading through them.

Especially as someone in the middle of the Narnia series with one child, and the end of the Potter series with the other, this is the perfect truly adult companion to them both. You can see how HP and Narnia influenced the world of Grossman, and I love the character and story arcs that took place throughout the three novels.  It wasn't a journey that I expected to go on, but isn't that the joys of reading? Taken together, these are great books that captured my imagination.  I could see myself re-reading them in a few years, and maybe seeing different layers that I didn't grasp this time.  The worlds are well crafted, and things aren't always clean and perfect.  Give this series a chance.  You won't regret it.

I tried to follow this one up with another recommended fantasy novel, and I couldn't.  I think I need to take a wee break from magical fantasy.  I feel like I have worked my way through some amazing literature from this genre in the last few months and a diversion would be good. I continue to love my library card, and our amazing librarians. In another life I am sure I would have been one.

No comments: