Thursday, January 9, 2014

That Bard pops up in the strangest places...

When you stop and think about it, few writer's have had as much impact and influence as the great Bard himself, William Shakespeare.  I mention this in passing because of the father's obsession with the Bard in this book.  Each of the sister's is also named after famous heroines - Rosalind, Bianca, and Cordelia.  As someone who read a lot of Shakespeares' plays in my undergrad, I enjoyed this layer, even if it did wear thin in places (weirdly enough, I have issues reading things in italics if it goes on too long... who knew?)

This is a story about three sisters, and how they resolve their own idenity crises while their mother suffers through breast cancer.

It was a good book, and the title takes it's name from MacBeth's three witches - the original Weird Sisters.  I found the narrative voice to be a little irritating at times and hard to grasp and there were a few passages I had to reread to make sure I had the true gist of what was happening. 

This book was also about growing up in a small town, can't waiting to bust out, and that what happens when you leave and return as an adult, or for one sister, when you are fearful of leaving.  You add in the layer of post secondary life/town/career, and well, it was a book I could relate too.  Although I moved around a lot as a kid, I do consider myself from a small town.  It was a big deal when as a family, we chose to move back (for me) to this small town.  I grappled with was I ready and willing to embrace this community again, in my adult self.  Two years later, I have come to terms with this, and I am grateful for our community and the place we are creating for ourselves.  I see things in our community I was oblivious to when I was younger and itching to get away. 

No comments: